Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Grease is the Blurb

For those of you who don't know...
Blurb: Short publicity notice

"Grease is the Blurb" sounds better than "Grease is the Word". I bring this up because our school play will be Grease, which I am stoked for.
That is, if I get in. And depending on which role I'm cast as.
Like more people than not who audition, I'm shooting for a big role- Sandy, Rizzo, Frenchie. And if I get a small role, I will not be fine with it, but I'm going to cope and pretend I am.
It's just that the people who get leads are always treated differently. Not intentionally, but directors and the rest of the cast just have to. More one on one attention, and recognition from the audience. They also have more line memorizing/singing/everything to do, but that's all part of the fun.
I'm keeping my expectations low, but to tell you the truth, my audition went great! I didn't mess up on any lines and my voice never cracked, so there's really no reason to fret. Here's my monologue:

I hate it when they say, “Act your age”. What does that mean, anyhow? I mean… how do you act an age? Like, for example, how would you act different at eighteen than you would at seventeen? There’s like, this huge difference in you over 12 months? You’re all of a sudden this different person? Puhleeze! Besides, it’s all a bunch of adult garbage anyway. What they really mean is, “I don’t understand where you’re coming from so please do as I tell you so I won’t have to think about it.”
Why doesn’t acting your age apply to adults? When my dad, who weighs over two-fifty on a good day, goes out and buys a yellow Miata, nobody said “Act your age”. You know what they said? They all said “You’re as young as you feel.” The fact that he looks like a bear in a hot dog bun never enters their minds because he’s as young as he feels. If I, on the other hand, were to go out and get a tattoo, they would say “Act your age”. Go figure.
I think the next time my mom spends a fortune on plastic figurines from Home Shopping, or tries to squeeze her buns into a size-five mini, or cries over one of her soaps, I’ll tell her, “Act YOUR age.”

And here is my song, "10 Minutes Ago" from Cinderella:

3:00-3:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BIliG3ew0

Callbacks on thursdays, results hopefully posted by friday. So now that the dice has been rolled, there's nothing to do except wait for the results. Unlike most snailosauri, I hate going slow and I'M BLOODY IMPATIENT! Which reminds me of a joke Mrs. Henry, my old math teacher, told our class:

One day a man goes out to buy a pet snail. He enters it into a snail car race, and his snail is assigned the letter "s". The night before, he paints "s" onto the snail's shell. The next day, the race begins, but his snail won't budge, so the man shouts "S CAR GO!" (Escargot)

Good times indeed. Thank you, Mrs. Henry, for brightening our days. My next blog, which you surely anticipate, will be about cruel yet wonderful practical joke ideas.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! PRACTICAL JOKES!
    As for Grease. I'm sad for not auditioning, but I'm positive you'd get a good part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but there were so many other good people! like, really freaking good!
    and all the characters are white. T.T not that that should have any effect on mr bachs desicions, but it would be a little strange to have an asian sandy... lol

    ReplyDelete